Decumano Inferiore - Spaccanapoli
Is the zone between San Domenico Maggiore and the church of Santa Chiara in Gesł Nuovo square , which during the Greek age was an "extracity" zone, outside of the town-walls building. During "Angioina" the walls were moved, so it re-entered in the city zone, its conformation dates from late XIV the century. The masterpieces of architecture, inside of "Decumano inferiore" are many: the church of the "Gesł Nuovo", the complex of "Santa Chiara", the church of "San Francesco delle monache", the one of "Santa Marta" , the church of "San Domenico Maggiore", but We don't have to forget the historical palaces ,such as "Palazzo Filomarino","Palazzo Venezia","Palazzo Corigliano" and many others, walking and admiring masterpieces of other kind like the "Cappella di San Severo" and the "Cristo Velato" (Veiled Christ, work of Giuseppe Sanmartino) exposed inside. This is not a zone poor of "high level tourist attractions"... but not only: Spaccanapoli, and all that is built around it, is for sure a peculiarity not lacking in attraction; characteristic and characterizing the famous "vicoli e vicarielli" of the city of Naples, rich of "Napoletanitą": pasta stores, stores against the "bad fate", little shops of craftsmen and every things make this city what it is. Point of departure of the "Decumano inferiore" is the square of the Gesł Nuovo, considered like point of hinge between greek-roman Naples and the widenings had in the Middle Age.
Here some of the admirable wonders of this "DECUMANO":
CAPPELLA SAN SEVERO
Founded in 1590 and widened in 1608 in order to receive the rests of several members of the family, the chapel was totally restructured in the second half of XVIII century for willing of Raimondo di Sangro Principe di San Severo. Inside, with only one nave, there are some monumental works, and even wonderful sculptures among which the allegorical figures of the "Pudicizia" by Corradini and the "Disinganno" by Queirolo. On the vault, the huge fresco by F.M. Russo rapresenting the "Gloria del Paradiso". On the greater altar the work by F. Celebrano the "Deposizione". In the centre of the nave "Il Cristo Velato", wonderful masterpiece of the sculpture of the XVIII century, made by G. Sanmartino.
PALAZZO SANGRO DI SAN SEVERO
Of the first half of the XVI century, with later widenings. The portal of the half of the XVII century was planned by Picchiatti, the bas-reliefs of stucco of G. Sanmartino is of the XVII century, age in which Raimondo di Sangro lived in it.
SANT'ANGELO A NILO
It is in "piazzetta Nilo", the name derives from the name of the ancient quarter of the greeck-roman city, tied to the cult of the God Nilo. Constructed for wanting of cardinal Rinaldo Brancaccio as tribute to San Michele in 1385, it was renewed by the Guglielmelli in the XVIII century. Commonly the church is called Brancaccio chapel because it was the private chapel of this family. Inside there is only one nave, on the apse there is the tomb of Rinaldo Brancaccio, carved in 1427-28 in Pisa by Donatello and Michelozzo and sent to Naples. The burial monument, has fundamental importance for the Neapolitan art of the Renaissance. On the greater altar the table of Marco Pino with San Michele Arcangelo of 1573. From the sagrestia you can arrive to Palazzo Brancaccio (XV century), where in 1690 the first Neapolitan public library was opened.
SANTI FILIPPO E GIACOMO
Founded by the "Corporation of the Silk" at the end of the X century, with the annexed conservatory. Restructured in 1758 with stucco works, marbles and decorations. On the facade there are two great statues of San Filippo and San Giacomo made by Sanmartino. The inside with only one nave and with four lateral aisles, is rich of marbles of baroque taste. The ceiling of the nave was frescoed by J. Cestaro in 1759. The cooked pavement and maiolica with geometric design introduces to the centre the coat of arms of the corporation. On the greater altar of precious marbles, the table by Ippolito Borghese with the Vergine and Saints.
SAN GIORGIO MAGGIORE
Originally dedicated to San Severo, being been transported the rests of the saint in the IX century, the church assumed its name only after years of its construction. A fire in 1640 destroyed it completely and the reconstruction was given to Cosimo Fanzago. The original plan, that previewed the creation of two churches, was not realizable for the elapsed difficulties because of the revolution and of the plague. The architect Guglielmelli Arcangelo took part after the earthquake of 1694, the opening of via Duomo in 1880 made to pull down the discouragement of the span of right, the facade and the bell tower. The rests of the absķde are of the ancient "paleocristiana basilica" , the income of the new church, with "corinzie" columns coming from roman buildings. Inside, painted by Francesco Peresi (1713).